Google Translate

Monday 6 February 2012

Cauliflower White Cheddar Soup

Often when I go into a grocery store I have a plan, a list, and have just eaten. This is supposed to keep me on track and prevent me from tossing all sorts of other items into my shopping cart.  However, on my last trip to the store, list in hand, I couldn't stop myself from tossing in a large head of cauliflower.  It just looked so fresh, white and appetizing, I couldn't help it!  Hmm, raw cauliflower looking soo appetizing? I must not have snacked prior?! Then, of course, not knowing quite what to do with it I let it sit in the fridge for the better part of the week, maybe not as appetizing at this point.  However, not wanting to waste it my first thought was soup, followed by broccoli cheddar soup, where I then decided why not substitute the broccoli for cauliflower?  I made this soup wanting to keep the integrity of the whiteness of cauliflower so I used aged white cheddar as opposed to the dyed orange stuff.  After tasting this soup I will plan to put cauliflower on my list more often!

drizzle olive oil
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 sprig fresh thyme
1/4 cup white wine
1 large white potato, peeled and chopped
1 head cauliflower, core removed and chopped
4 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp Greek yogurt
salt and pepper
1 cup aged white cheddar, grated
crumbled bacon and green onions sliced to garnish

In a large pot with a lid heat oil on medium heat then add onions and celery.  Add a splash of water and cook about 10 minutes with lid on until onions and celery are translucent, stirring occasionally.  Remove lid, add garlic and thyme, cook for 1 minute.  Turn heat to high and once pot is hot add wine, cook 2 minutes.  Add potato, cauliflower and broth.  Bring to a boil then turn heat to mid-low and cover and cook until potato and cauliflower are tender, about 20 minutes.  When vegetables are soft remove from heat and remove thyme sprig. Ladel in batches into a blender, with a couple of the batches add the Greek yogurt and salt and pepper to taste.  Blend until smooth and place blended mixture into a fresh clean pot.  Continue until all is blended and has been placed in the pot.  Add cheese and stir to incorporate.  Serve immediately or keep warm on low heat until ready to serve.  Garnish soup with bacon and green onions.

1 comment: