Google Translate

Saturday 7 January 2012

Roasted Cauliflower and White Bean Soup

I credit my older sister with a lot: getting me into bars before I was 19, showing me how to pluck my eyebrows, and of course, getting me into trouble. She also introduced me to this soup which has now moved to the top of my healthy and delicious recipe list. Last month we featured a cauliflower recipe where I touted the merits of oven roasting to bring out the vegetable's nutty sweetness. Wisely, my sister used the same strategy here and also added white beans to up the protein and add more depth. This quick, easy soup is delicate, flavourful and surprisingly hearty.  I like to add a light drizzle of nut oil before serving.

drizzle of olive oil
1 head of cauliflower
3 cloves garlic,peeled and smashed (not chopped)
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 litre chicken stock
1 can white kidney beans or navy beans
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
drizzle of walnut or hazelnut oil

Preheat oven to 350F.
Remove the leaves and tough stems from the cauliflower and break into pieces. Arrange on a baking sheet along with the garlic cloves, drizzle with olive oil, and gently toss to coat. Roast in the oven until the cauliflower is tender and begins to brown, about 20 minutes.

In a large soup pot, heat a drizzle of oil over medium heat and add the onion. Heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the roasted cauliflower, garlic, and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on til the cauliflower is falling apart, about 5-10 minutes. Add the beans. Remove from heat and puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. You can also puree in a blender in small batches. Add the Parmesan and stir to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish each serving with a drizzle of walnut or hazelnut oil and more freshly ground pepper.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I can't wait to try this one - I've bookmarked you! :) I'll try veg stock, though, being a veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bookmarking us! Veggie stock would definitely be great too. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this - just a few tweaks and OMG!!! GENIUS idea, roasting the cauliflower!!! Do you mind if I add it to my blog, linking back to you? Moo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't mind at all! Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for your comments!

      Delete