Google Translate

Friday 27 January 2012

Cran-Apple Oatmeal Muffins

I was recently stocking up on some kitchen supplies when I came across a huge display of beautifully patterned paper muffin cups. Now normally I am more of the ‘cooking’ type but there is something about brightly coloured muffin cups that convinces me that I can be a better baker and, regardless of what is inside of them, if I use nicer cups my baked goods be more delicious. With this in mind, I purchased four packages of 60 cups each, effectivly signing myself up for a years worth of baking. I am happy to say that as good as these muffins are when baked inside a greased muffin tin, unwrapping them from a lovely paper cup makes them more of a treat!  I usually eat these as a breakfast on the go or packed as an afternoon snack.  The addition of grated apple keeps these muffins moist, making them great for freezing.
Makes 12-14 muffins

1 large apple, grated
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup cranberries, frozen
1 1/2 cups oatmeal, large flakes
1 cup flour
1 tbsp ground flax
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp sliced almonds


Preheat oven to 375F.
Line muffin tins with papers and spray with cooking spray to grease.

In a medium bowl combine grated apple, milk, oil, egg, and vanilla and mix well.  Set aside.
In a large bowl combine oatmeal, flour, flax, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and mix well.  Add reserved wet ingredients to flour-oatmeal mix and stir to incorporate.  Stir in cranberries and almonds.

Fill muffin cups to the top and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick can be inserted in centre and removed cleanly.  Remove from muffin tin and cool completely on a cooling rack.


*If freezing, wrap individually in plastic wrap, then freeze.  To thaw, remove muffin from freezer, let stand overnight and enjoy in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment